Tuesday 1 May 2018

THE TASTIEST WATERLEAF STEW RECIPE


The last time I enjoyed Water Leaves stew was over 20 years ago. During my childhood, Mum and I had the Water Leaves stew at least once a week with either boiled Yam, Plantain or Rice. 


Originally from West Africa, Water leaves are rich in Vitamin E, C , Omega 3 fatty acids, low in calories, high in fibre and are great antioxidants (to mention but a few). 
I promised myself to source and cook dishes I had during my childhood, when I visited Ghana. 




The main reason for visiting Ghana was to reconnect and create new memories with Mum. 
Naturally, I handed my list of ingredients to Mum as we headed to Mallam Atta Market to source the ingredients. Mallam Atta Market has always been my favourite Market to source fresh ingredients and I’m particularly fond of the market ladies; I find them warm, welcoming and helpful. 


This recipe is inspired by my how my Mum prepared this stew during my childhood. You can cut the leaves into pieces or use them whole as per your choosing. 

Please leave comments below if you know where one can get fresh Water Leaves from in the diaspora.

INGREDIENTS 
450g of Water leaves 
30ml of Zomi or Palm oil
1 large Onion
1 Habanero chilli 
2 tablespoonful of Shrimp powder 
Half a teaspoon of ground African Nutmeg (Optional)
2 tablespoonful of blended Ginger, Onion and Aniseed 
250g of blended fresh Tomatoes 
500g of smoked or grilled Mackerel 
150g of blended Melon seeds (Egusi/Agushi)
Salt to taste



METHOD 
Watch how to prepare this delicious and creative recipe on my YouTube channel, ‘Ndudu by Fafa’ below;




Don’t forget to subscribe, like the videos, comment and share. 
All photos, recipes and videos are by the owner of this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Fafa , please can you tell me where you bought yevu gboma? Regards

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.