Tuesday 4 April 2017

HOW TO MAKE BASIL SCENTED OIL

I passed by my local grocer to pick a few ingredients and he just took delivery of the most scented basil I've ever smelt. After adding 2 generous bunches of basil to my list, ( with strict instructions by the grocer on how to preserve the basil), I said my 'thank you' and hurried to my car before I purchased more than I needed. 


I was tired that evening to cook, hence I adhered to the grocers instructions ( don't refrigerate, place in a cool dark place) on preserving the freshly picked basil. 

The next day the basil had wilted slightly and I needed to preserve the sweet almost perfume like smell of it. 


The idea of infusing the basil into oil was the only logical way I could preserve the pungent smell, taste and the green colour. 

To retain it's 'greenness' I blanched the basil in hot water for 30 seconds and quickly runned it under cold water (to stop it cooking further) and to retain it's green colour.  Wow your guest by adding a couple of drops to your 'soup', 'salads' and fish dishes. 


Ingredients; 
300g of fresh basil
Half a teaspoon of Sauvignon blanc vinegar or malt vinegar. 
Half a teaspoon of salt
500ml of olive oil, ( please don't use extra virgin olive oil) as it has a stronger taste and might over power the basil. 


Method;
Wash your Basil under cold water. 
Boil your kettle with water and pour the hot water in a bowl. 
Dip the basil with stalks into the hot water for 30 seconds. 
Remove the basil from the hot water and quickly dip it into an ice cold water for about 2 minutes. 
Squeeze the water from the basil and place it in a blender. 
Add the oil, vinegar and salt 
Blend into a smooth mixture. 
Using a muslin cloth and a smooth colander,  placed over a bowl, pour the basil mixture into the muslin covered colander. 
Leave it to gently strain ( it can take up to 12 hrs) and discard the chaff. 
Pour your basil scented oil in a mason jar and refrigerate. 


I have used the basil oil for my French toast this morning and it was amazing. All photos and recipes are by the owner of this blog. 

Find more inspiring recipes on my YouTube channel, 'Ndudu by Fafa'. 









1 comment:

  1. Jadwal Sabung Ayam Online SV388 11 Februari 2019 - Senin, 11 Februari 2019 – Pada Hari Tersebut Akan Di Laksanakan Berbagai Pertandingan Sabung Ayam Secara Live di Arena Sabung Ayam Thailand.

    Situs Judi Sabung Ayam Online SV388 Merupakan Situs Judi Asal Thailand Yang Sangat Terkenal Dengan Permainan Sabung Ayam Yang Fair dan Menghibur Para Penonton Judi Sabung Ayam.

    Untuk Info Lebih Lanjut Bisa Hub kami Di :
    wechat : bolavita
    line : cs_bolavita
    whatsapp : +628122222995
    BBM: BOLAVITA

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.