Sunday 1 March 2015

Sugar Bread (Ghana)

Growing up next to a baker in Ghana, was one that fills me with nostalgia; especially at dawn, when the smell of fresh bread permeated the air. My close family and friends are aware of my obsession with nice smells, especially from food. The smell of fresh coffee and bread first thing in the morning evokes great memories. In Ghana we have Sugar bread, Tea bread and Butter bread and I'm paying homage to our Sugar bread. 


Ingredients
Serves 8 
450g of bread flour
16g of dry yeast
145ml of lukewarm water
4 tablespoons of Sugar
Half a teaspoon of salt
40g of butter
Half a teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg 


Method;

Add the yeast, sugar and salt to the lukewarm water in a cup.
Stir till well mixed and leave in a warm place for about 10-15minutes or until you see froth forming.
Sieve your flour into a mixing bowl and add the nutmeg and mix well.
Add the cubes of butter and mix till you have a breadcrumb consistency with your electric mixer. (If you don't have a mixer use your cleaned washed hands).
Gently add  the yeast mixture till well combined. 
If you're using your hand, knead the dough on a floured surface till you have a silky smooth and elastic texture. This should take about 15 minutes of using your hand or 7 minutes of using an electric mixer with its hook. 
Using your hands form a ball with the dough and place in a bowl. 
Soak a tea cloth in warm water and cover the dough.
Leave in a warm dry place for about 2 hrs or until it has doubled in size or more. 


Once the dough has risen, knead it again for about 4 minutes. 
Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Shape them into round balls and place them in an oiled bread tin of 8 inches or use your clay pot. 
Cover with the warm damp cloth and place it in a warm and dry area. 
Leave the dough to rise for another 45 minutes and pre-heat your oven to 200*c. 





Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until  well risen, golden and sounds hollow when tapped. 




Serve this with a nice mug of hot chocolate, sit back and enjoy your hardwork. 





Don't forget to leave a review about the recipe. 




A simple smear of goats butter or your preferred butter will be perfect. 
All photos are by the owner of this blog. 

5 comments:

  1. I love your blog and recipes. I'm trying this tomorrow. Been craving this and tea bread

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing, that's all I can say and I wish I could comment that on all your recipes....you make everything seem soo simple and do-able. I love your blog! and u r my new friend in my head��������

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story behind the recipe. I never made bread before, but I am willing to try this recipe.
    I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So basically, if I want to make dry bofrot, I'll follow this bread recipe and fry instead of baking?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am from Sierra Leone just ran into ur videos on YouTube and I am hooked. Wow! I must say u area good cook. I heard ur accent I was like "what British lady is trying to cook African food." To my greatest surprise, you took my attention and then I realized you are Ghanaian.More power to you my African sister. I love food so this makes me happy.lol. Kudos and God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.