Thursday 11 December 2014

A December to Barbados Pt 2

Watching the view from our window, day dreaming on how far we've travelled, the billowing waves with their roar, the little bird with tiny feet picking at, what I can only assume are tiny Molluscs running away from the tide and the peeping sand crabs, who occasionally come out  and hurriedly escapes back to the burrow at the sound of any movement is rather mesmerising. 

Sand Crab


After brunch, I feasted my eyes on each wave after wave, the turquoise sea, trying to relax, taking my new environs in and dreaming about the Tuna and the other groceries we bought earlier for lunch.

A story,I forgot to mention in my previous blog post was about our trip to the fishmongers. During our holiday to Barbados in 2012 I wanted freshly caught Red Snapper that I could fry and have just as I would in Ghana. 
We were advised then, due to the time of year we visited ,we wil be lucky to get freshly caught Snapper. The lady advised we needed to come almost at dawn when the fishermen came to shore to have a fighting chance of getting the elusive Snapper. 

               View from my window (Barbados)

On our way to the fishmongers, we saw this lady gutting the most beautiful freshly caught Snapper and we hurriedly went over, asking how much she needed for the fish. The lady wasn't particularly friendly and with clenched teeth advised they weren't for sale. I was a little bit insistent for her to sell, excited about my discovery and was disappointed my enthusiasm wasn't matched by the lady. 

I looked at the lady's surroundings and gathered she was in her own private kitchen, probably cooking lunch for her family and here I am asking her to sell her food. Shame on me; I muttered under my breath, made the necessary excuses and scappered back to the car with mixed emotions. 

We ended up buying freshly caught Tuna for lunch and I started dreaming of ways to complement this beautiful fish for lunch. 

The Fish monger in Barbados


We bought Plantain, Okra, Courgettes,Red peppers and  sprouted beans also from the lady grocer earlier and together with my homemade Zaatar mix, I sensed it will be a light flavoursome lunch.

When I saw the Plantain at the stall, I readily thought of 'Kelewele' a street food popular in Ghana, which made out of cubed ripened Plantain with added spices. I cubed the Plantain, added some Bajan hot pepper sauce, oregano, finely diced shallots, grated ginger, salt and pepper to taste. I deep fried the Plantain till golden brown and served with honey roasted peanuts we got from the shops. The 'Kelewele' was 'woofed' down, which wasn't a surprise as it tasted great ( even if I say so). The fried spiced plantain has a spiced caramelised and somewhat crunchy outer bite and a soft and sweet centre, which goes best with chilled beer. (A perfect pre starter if you want to get your guest talking). 

                                                                                 Kelewele



The courgettes and red peppers were cut to size and tossed in an olive oil and oregano marinade ready for the barbecue.

  Barbecued Red Peppers

Using a frying pan on a very high heat (as there was no griddle pan) I rubbed the Tuna steaks (3 inches thick) with olive oil and rolled them in the Zaatar mix. I placed the Tuna in the frying pan and sealed it quickly on both sides for a minute. 

                         Pan seared Tuna 

The courgettes and red peppers were barbecued and perfectly charred, the dressing of mustard, olive oil, oregano, black pepper, salt and lime juice complimented the sprouted beans with shallots. Lunch was definatley ready with a chilled glass of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc (bought from the duty free shop at the Bajan airport). 


Pan seared Tuna with roasted courgettes, red pepper, Venus black rice (got from my local shop in Twickenham) and sprouted beans tossed in a mustard and oregano dressing. 

We all sat for a hearty meal, conversating about the adventures ahead of us, sipping on the delicious crisp cold wine, which was a great welcome to the warm lips and a sensation enhancer to our palette. Bon appetite!


1 comment:

  1. Jadwal Daftar Sabung Ayam SV388 15 Februari 2019 di Situs Judi Sabung Ayam Online Melalui Agen Resmi Taruhan Sabung Ayam Live Asli Thailand.

    Jumat, Banten 15 Februari 2019 – Pada Hari Tersebut Akan Di Laksanakan Berbagai Pertandingan Sabung Ayam Secara Live di Arena Sabung Ayam Thailand.

    Untuk Info Lebih Lanjut Bisa Hub kami Di :
    wechat : bolavita
    line : cs_bolavita
    whatsapp : +628122222995
    BBM: BOLAVITA

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.